Sunday, April 3, 2011

One Lane

Wes Hayes III has a long drive to and from work. The drive can
take more than an hour on busy days.

"I learned something about driving," Wes told me. "I've learned
to stay in one lane." "One lane?" I thought "What does he mean
one lane?"

He explained how he timed the journey driving in the normal
pattern. The typical driver zigged and zagged and switched lanes
to find the fastest flow and to get out of the traffic and to
the destination sooner. Sometimes the highway looked like
driving a shalom course.

"I timed the journey switching lanes every few minutes and then
I tried another way. I tried driving all the way in just ONE
LANE. No matter what, I stayed in one lane," Wes explained.

"I was amazed! The time difference was negligible if any but the
peace difference was huge. There is far less stress and far more
calmness attained by just staying in one lane," Wes said.

As Wes relayed his new found direction, I thought about how much
ONE LANE could help us in life.

We constantly switch jobs. We switch romantic partners. We
switch houses, cars, clothes, computers, phones and even
friends. Much of the time it's not because we need to switch.
It's because fashion, style and updates makes us crave the
fastest and seemingly best.

In many countries people work for one company their entire life.
The thought of so much switching is completely foreign to them.

Perhaps Wes is on to something.

Perhaps WE need to stay in ONE LANE.